Officers and Executive Board
Announcements Links to constitution and to minutes for business meetings.
Whartonboard is the private listserv for EWS Board members: https://lists.wsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/whartonboard. When you are elected to an office, please email email@example.com so that you can be added to the listserv.
- President, Myrto Drizou, firstname.lastname@example.org, Bogaziçi University
- Immediate Past President, Jennifer Haytock, email@example.com, SUNY Brockport
- Vice President, Margaret Jay Jessee, firstname.lastname@example.org, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Secretary, Arielle Zibrak, email@example.com, University of Wyoming
- Treasurer, Mary Carney, Mary.Carney@uga.edu, University of Georgia
- Editor of the Edith Wharton Review, Rita Bode, firstname.lastname@example.org, Trent University
- Webmaster, Donna Campbell, email@example.com, Washington State University
- Membership Committee Chair, Sheila Liming, firstname.lastname@example.org, Champlain College
- EWS Archivist, Carole Shaffer-Koros, email@example.com, Kean University
- Anna Girling, firstname.lastname@example.org, Institute of English Studies, School of Advanced Studies, University of London
- Stacy E. Holden, email@example.com, Purdue University
- President: Jennifer Haytock, firstname.lastname@example.org SUNY Brockport
- Immediate Past President: Melanie Dawson, email@example.com William & Mary
- Vice President: Myrto Drizou, firstname.lastname@example.org Boğaziçi University
- Secretary: Jay Jessee, email@example.com University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Treasurer: Sharon Kim, firstname.lastname@example.org Judson University
- Treasurer-Elect: Mary Carney, University of North Georgia
- Editor of the Edith Wharton Review : Rita Bode, Trent University
- Webmaster: Donna Campbell, email@example.com Washington State University (Ex Officio)
- Membership Committee Chair: Sheila Liming, firstname.lastname@example.org Champlain College
- EWS Archivist: Carole Shaffer-Koros, https://edithwhartonsociety.wordpress.com/membership/about/ews-archives/
At-Large Executive Board Members 2021-2023
- Laura Rattray, Laura.Rattray@glasgow.ac.uk University of Glasgow
- Virginia Ricard, Virginia.Ricard@u-bordeaux-montaigne.fr Bordeaux Montaigne University
- Meg Toth, email@example.com Manhattan College
Past Editors of The Edith Wharton Review
- Paul Ohler, firstname.lastname@example.org Kwantlen Polytechnic University
- Meredith Goldsmith, Ursinus University
- Carole Shaffer-Koros, Kean University (emerita)
- Carole Shaffer-Koros, email@example.com Kean University (emerita), professionalized the accounting of EWS in 1999, and served as the Society’s Treasurer from that time until 2019, with one leave of absence.
- Mary Carney, University of North Georgia (2016)
- Melanie Dawson, William & Mary (2019-2021)
- Paul Ohler, Kwantlen Polytechnic University (2017-2019)
- Emily Orlando, Fairfield University (2015-2017)
- Meredith Goldsmith, Ursinus University (2013-2015)
- Gary Totten, North Dakota State University (2011-2013)
- Margaret Murray, Western Connecticut State University (2010-2011)
- Hildegard Hoeller, CUNY-Staten Island (2007-2010)
- Donna Campbell, Washington State University (2005-2007)
- Julie Olin-Ammentorp, LeMoyne College (2003-2005)
- Augusta Rohrbach, Harvard University (2001-2003)
- Abby Werlock, St. Olaf College (1999-2001)
- Dale Flynn, University of California-Davis (1997-1999)
Terms run from January 1 to January 1.
Executive Board Members from Previous Years
- Rita Bode, Trent University (2019-2021)
- Katie Ahern, University College Cork, Ireland (UCC)
- Margaret Toth, Manhattan College (2017-2019)
- Anna Girling, University of Edinburgh (2017-2019)
- Mary Carney, University of North Georgia (2012-2017)
- Madeleine Vala, University of Puerto Rico (2016-2018)
- Sharon Kehl Califano, Mount Washington College (January 1, 2013-January 1, 2015)
- Ann Patten, Trinity College, Dublin (January 1, 2012-January 1, 2014)
- Adam Jabbur, University of Delaware (January 1, 2012-January 1, 2014)
- Melanie Dawson, College of William and Mary (January 1, 2012-January 1, 2014)
- Jennifer Haytock, SUNY, Brockport (January 1, 2012-January 1, 2014)
- Frederick Wegener, California State University-Long Beach (January 1, 2009-January 1, 2012)
- Annette Benert, DeSalles University (January 1, 2009-January 1, 2011)
- Linda Costanzo Cahir, Kean University (January 1, 2009-January 1, 2011)
- Shafquat Towheed, The Open University (January 1, 2008-January 1, 2010)
- Laura Rattray, University of Hull (January 1, 2008-January 1, 2010)
- Katherine Joslin, Western Michigan University (January 1, 2007-January 1, 2009)
- Meredith Goldsmith, Ursinus College (January 1, 2007-January 1, 2009)
- Gary Totten, North Dakota State University (January 1, 2007-January 1, 2009)
- Laura Saltz, Colby College (2003-2005; re-elected 2005- 2007; re-elected January 1, 2007-January 1, 2009)
- Betsy Klimasmith, University of Massachusetts-Amherst (January 1, 2006-January 1, 2008)
- Emily Orlando, Tennessee State University (January 1, 2006-January 1, 2008)
- Mary E. Papke, University of Tennessee (January 1, 2005-January 1, 2007)
- Margaret Murray, Western Connecticut State University (January 1, 2006-January 1, 2008; elected Secretary 2007-2009)
- Carol Singley, Rutgers University-Camden (January 1, 2005-January 1, 2007)
- Charlotte Rich, Eastern Kentucky University, (January 1, 2004-January 1, 2006)
- Edie Thornton, University of Wisconsin, Whitewater (January 1, 2004-January 1, 2006)
- Irene Goldman-Price, Penn State Hazleton (2002-2004; re-elected for January 1, 2004-January 1, 2006)
- Frederick Wegener, California State University–Long Beach (re-elected at MLA, January 1, 2003-January 1, 2005)
- Melissa McFarland Pennell, University of Massachusetts-Lowell (ALA, June 1, 2001-June 1, 2003)
- Harriet Gold, University of Montreal (MLA, January 1, 2002- January 1, 2004)
- Janet Beer, Manchester Metropolitan University (UK) (ALA, June 1, 2001-June 1, 2003)
- Kenneth Price, University of Nebraska
- Sharon Shaloo, Massachusetts Center for the Book
- Elizabeth Lennox Keyser, Hollins University
- Hildegard Hoeller, CUNY (MLA, 1999-2001)
- Linda Costanzo-Cahir, Centenary College (ALA, 1999-2001)
Election History of At-large Executive Board Members
Election results after 2017 will appear in the lists of officers above and in the minutes from EWS meetings.
- In March 2017, Margaret Toth and Anna Girling were elected to the EWS Executive Board.
- In January 2016, the EWS Executive Board voted to follow the practice of C19 and other organizations by appointing a co-treasurer, Mary Carney, University of North Georgia. Mary Carney was succeeded by Sharon Kim.
- In January 2015, Arielle Zibrak and Shannon Brennan were elected to the EWS Executive Board.
- On Feb. 24, 2011, Margaret Murray resigned as Society President, citing personal reasons. Section 5.b of the Society Constitution/Bylaws states that “If the President is incapacitated, the Vice-President shall perform these duties.” Thus, Society Vice-President, Gary Totten, will perform the President’s duties through the end of 2011. Emily Orlando and Frederick Wegener will remain on the EWS Executive Board for an additional year.
- At the 2011 MLA Executive Board and Business Meeting, the EWS Board requested that Frederick Wegener serve an additional year, and he accepted.
- Because all the candidates in the 2008 election ran unopposed. the election was declared by acclamation by Hildegard Hoeller, EWS President. Emily Orlando, Frederick Wegener, Annette Benert, and Linda Costanzo Cahir were elected to the EWS Executive Board, and Gary Totten was elected Secretary. Hildegard Hoeller and Margaret Murray will serve in their current posts until January 1, 2010.
- At the 2007 MLA business meeting in Chicago, the results of this year’s paper ballot were announced: Shafquat Towheed and Laura Rattray replaced outgoing EWS Executive Board members Betsy Klimasmith and Emily Orlando.
- At the 2006 MLA business meeting in Philadelphia, the results of this year’s paper ballot were announced: Meredith Goldsmith, Katherine Joslin, and Gary Totten replaced outgoing board members Margaret Murray (elected Secretary), Carol Singley, and Mary E. Papke, with Laura Saltz re-elected to the board.
- At the 2005 MLA business meeting in Washington, D.C., the results of this year’s paper ballot were announced: Emily Orlando, Betsy Klimasmith, and Margaret Murray replaced outgoing board members Charlotte Rich, Edie Thornton, and Irene Goldman-Price.
- At the 2004 MLA business meeting in Philadelphia, the results of the EWS’s first-ever election by mail-in paper ballot were announced. The results were as follows: Laura Saltz, Carol Singley, and Mary E. Papke replaced outgoing member Frederick Wegener on the Executive Board, and Edie Thornton was elected Secretary.
- At the 2003 MLA business meeting in New York, Charlotte Rich and Edie Thornton were elected to the Executive Board, replacing outgoing members Harriet Gold, Janet Beer, and Melissa McFarland Pennell. Irene Goldman-Price was elected to a second term.
- At the 2002 MLA business meeting in New York, Frederick Wegener and Laura Saltz were elected to the Executive Board.
- At the 2001 MLA business meeting in New Orleans, Harriet Gold and Irene Goldman-Price were elected to the Executive Board, replacing outgoing member Hildegard Hoeller.
- At the 2001 ALA business meeting in Cambridge, Melissa Pennell and Janet Beer were elected to the Executive Board, replacing outgoing members Frederick Wegener and Sharon Shaloo.
- No board members were elected at MLA 2000.
- No board members were elected at ALA 2000, because no business meeting was held just before the Newport conference.
- At the 1999 MLA business meeting in Chicago, Hildegard Hoeller was elected to the Executive Board, replacing outgoing member Elizabeth Lennox Keyser.
- At the ALA business meeting on May 30, 1999, Linda Costanzo-Cahir was elected to the Executive Board, replacing outgoing member Kenneth Price.
Ad hoc Committee on the Constitution (2003): Irene Goldman-Price, Chair Julie Olin-Ammentorp Melissa McFarland Pennell
Please correct my email. I retired six years ago. It’s firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pingback: EWS Officers, 2021-2023 | The Edith Wharton Society
Pingback: EWS Welcomes New Officers | The Edith Wharton Society