Officers and Executive Board
Announcements Links to constitution and to minutes for business meetings
- President Paul Ohler firstname.lastname@example.org Kwantlen Polytechnic University
- Immediate Past President Emily Orlando email@example.com Fairfield University
- Vice President Melanie Dawson firstname.lastname@example.org College of William & Mary
- Secretary Jennifer Haytock email@example.com SUNY Brockport
- Editor of the Edith Wharton Review Meredith Goldsmith firstname.lastname@example.org Ursinus University
- Webmaster Donna Campbell email@example.com Washington State University (Ex Officio)
Membership Committee Chair Myrto Drizou Department of English West Hall 226 Valdosta State University Valdosta GA 31698 firstname.lastname@example.org
Current At-large Executive Board Members
- Madeleine Vala email@example.com University of Puerto Rico (January 1, 2017-January 1, 2019)
|2015-2017||Emily Orland firstname.lastname@example.org Fairfield University|
|2013-2015||Meredith Goldsmith email@example.com Ursinus University|
|2011-2013||Gary Totten firstname.lastname@example.org North Dakota State University|
|2010-2011||Margaret Murray, Western Connecticut State University|
|2007-2010||Hildegard Hoeller, CUNY-Staten Island|
|2005-2007||Donna Campbell, Washington State University|
|2003-2005||Julie Olin-Ammentorp, LeMoyne College|
|2001-2003||Augusta Rohrbach, Harvard University|
|1999-2001||Abby Werlock, St. Olaf College|
|1997-1999||Dale Flynn, University of California-Davis|
Terms run from January 1 to January 1.
Executive Board Members from Previous Years
- Sharon Kehl Califano email@example.com Mount Washington College (January 1, 2013-January 1, 2015)
- Ann Patten, Trinity College, Dublin (January 1, 2012-January 1, 2014)
- Adam Jabbur, University of Delaware (January 1, 2012-January 1, 2014)
- Melanie Dawson, College of William and Mary (January 1, 2012-January 1, 2014)
- Jennifer Haytock, SUNY, Brockport (January 1, 2012-January 1, 2014)
- Frederick Wegener, California State University-Long Beach (January 1, 2009-January 1, 2012)
- Annette Benert, DeSalles University (January 1, 2009-January 1, 2011)
- Linda Costanzo Cahir, Kean University (January 1, 2009-January 1, 2011)
- Shafquat Towheed, The Open University (January 1, 2008-January 1, 2010)
- Laura Rattray, University of Hull (January 1, 2008-January 1, 2010)
- Katherine Joslin, Western Michigan University (January 1, 2007-January 1, 2009)
- Meredith Goldsmith, Ursinus College (January 1, 2007-January 1, 2009)
- Gary Totten, North Dakota State University (January 1, 2007-January 1, 2009)
- Laura Saltz, Colby College (2003-2005; re-elected 2005- 2007; re-elected January 1, 2007-January 1, 2009)
- Betsy Klimasmith, University of Massachusetts-Amherst (January 1, 2006-January 1, 2008)
- Emily Orlando, Tennessee State University (January 1, 2006-January 1, 2008)
- Mary E. Papke, University of Tennessee (January 1, 2005-January 1, 2007)
- Margaret Murray, Western Connecticut State University (January 1, 2006-January 1, 2008; elected Secretary 2007-2009)
- Carol Singley, Rutgers University-Camden (January 1, 2005-January 1, 2007)
- Charlotte Rich, Eastern Kentucky University, (January 1, 2004-January 1, 2006)
- Edie Thornton, University of Wisconsin, Whitewater (January 1, 2004-January 1, 2006)
- Irene Goldman-Price, Penn State Hazleton (2002-2004; re-elected for January 1, 2004-January 1, 2006)
- Frederick Wegener, California State University–Long Beach (re-elected at MLA, January 1, 2003-January 1, 2005)
- Melissa McFarland Pennell, University of Massachusetts-Lowell (ALA, June 1, 2001-June 1, 2003)
- Harriet Gold, University of Montreal (MLA, January 1, 2002- January 1, 2004)
- Janet Beer, Manchester Metropolitan University (UK) (ALA, June 1, 2001-June 1, 2003)
- Kenneth Price, University of Nebraska
- Sharon Shaloo, Massachusetts Center for the Book
- Elizabeth Lennox Keyser, Hollins University
- Hildegard Hoeller, CUNY (MLA, 1999-2001)
- Linda Costanzo-Cahir, Centenary College (ALA, 1999-2001)
Election History of At-large Executive Board Members
- In January 2016, the EWS Executive Board voted to follow the practice of C19 and other organizations by appointing a co-treasurer, Mary Carney.
- On Feb. 24, 2011, Margaret Murray resigned as Society President, citing personal reasons. Section 5.b of the Society Constitution/Bylaws states that “If the President is incapacitated, the Vice-President shall perform these duties.” Thus, Society Vice-President, Gary Totten, will perform the President’s duties through the end of 2011. Emily Orlando and Frederick Wegener will remain on the EWS Executive Board for an additional year.
- At the 2011 MLA Executive Board and Business Meeting, the EWS Board requested that Frederick Wegener serve an additional year, and he accepted.
- Because all the candidates in the 2008 election ran unopposed. the election was declared by acclamation by Hildegard Hoeller, EWS President. Emily Orlando, Frederick Wegener, Annette Benert, and Linda Costanzo Cahir were elected to the EWS Executive Board, and Gary Totten was elected Secretary. Hildegard Hoeller and Margaret Murray will serve in their current posts until January 1, 2010.
- At the 2007 MLA business meeting in Chicago, the results of this year’s paper ballot were announced: Shafquat Towheed and Laura Rattray replaced outgoing EWS Executive Board members Betsy Klimasmith and Emily Orlando.
- At the 2006 MLA business meeting in Philadelphia, the results of this year’s paper ballot were announced: Meredith Goldsmith, Katherine Joslin, and Gary Totten replaced outgoing board members Margaret Murray (elected Secretary), Carol Singley, and Mary E. Papke, with Laura Saltz re-elected to the board.
- At the 2005 MLA business meeting in Washington, D.C., the results of this year’s paper ballot were announced: Emily Orlando, Betsy Klimasmith, and Margaret Murray replaced outgoing board members Charlotte Rich, Edie Thornton, and Irene Goldman-Price.
- At the 2004 MLA business meeting in Philadelphia, the results of the EWS’s first-ever election by mail-in paper ballot were announced. The results were as follows: Laura Saltz, Carol Singley, and Mary E. Papke replaced outgoing member Frederick Wegener on the Executive Board, and Edie Thornton was elected Secretary.
- At the 2003 MLA business meeting in New York, Charlotte Rich and Edie Thornton were elected to the Executive Board, replacing outgoing members Harriet Gold, Janet Beer, and Melissa McFarland Pennell. Irene Goldman-Price was elected to a second term.
- At the 2002 MLA business meeting in New York, Frederick Wegener and Laura Saltz were elected to the Executive Board.
- At the 2001 MLA business meeting in New Orleans, Harriet Gold and Irene Goldman-Price were elected to the Executive Board, replacing outgoing member Hildegard Hoeller.
- At the 2001 ALA business meeting in Cambridge, Melissa Pennell and Janet Beer were elected to the Executive Board, replacing outgoing members Frederick Wegener and Sharon Shaloo.
- No board members were elected at MLA 2000.
- No board members were elected at ALA 2000, because no business meeting was held just before the Newport conference.
- At the 1999 MLA business meeting in Chicago, Hildegard Hoeller was elected to the Executive Board, replacing outgoing member Elizabeth Lennox Keyser.
- At the ALA business meeting on May 30, 1999, Linda Costanzo-Cahir was elected to the Executive Board, replacing outgoing member Kenneth Price.
Membership Committee Chair
Department of English
West Hall 226
Valdosta State University
Valdosta GA 31698 firstname.lastname@example.org
Ad hoc Committee on the Constitution (2003): Irene Goldman-Price, Chair Julie Olin-Ammentorp Melissa McFarland Pennell